Honeysuckle Rose

July 2, 1994 - May 9, 2003

Honeysuckle has always been one of our favourites.

She was born in Puyallup, Washington when we had a small herd boarded at my cousin’s farm.

Our son John did the drawing on the right of her when she was just a youngster.

We had it silkscreened on T-shirts.

A couple of weeks ago she was shorn. This shouldn’t have been a problem as she has been shorn before. This year she rubbed up against a fence in the corner of the field. There was a patch of stinging nettles growing up in front of the fence. It must have been an awful shock to her as it appears that she was so startled that she broke through the middle board of the side fence and into the bush on the neighbour’s property. The bush was beaten down for quite a large area as it seemed that she must have been rolling on the ground trying to rub the side of her body that was stung.

When we found her she had rolled so that her head was downhill. Llamas get stuck when their feet are uphill and are not able to free themselves. Af first glance Honeysuckle appeared to be dead but then her head moved a bit. We managed to get her to a kushed position but she was unable to get to her feet. She must have been lying in that position for some time as she was dazed and in shock. We got some water and electrolytes into her and sat with her for about four hours before we were able to lift her to her feet.

Honeysuckle had many scrapes some of which you can see by the yellow antiseptic spray. She was in a total daze and certainly didn’t want to walk. We managed to pull and push her to the barn and she remained standing for another five hours.

Her eyes were glazed and there was no reaction no matter what we did to her so it was a big relief to get her into a stall. She had forgotten how to drink and eat so we had to syringe water into her. Jane would run grass through the blender and get that into her and after about four days she started to nibble hay and drink a little water. We had her in a field by herself and she seemed to be improving ever so slightly. By the seventh day she was pacing the fences so we tried putting her into various fields to see if it would help having other llamas with her. Eventually we put her back in the original field thinking that her buddies were there, but after a while there was some alarm calling from the others and we found Honeysuckle again stuck with her head downhill. We got her back up and into the barn but she was in bad shape. The next morning she was barely alive, lying on her side and died peacefully later in the morning.

I had done a painting of her a couple of months ago, so even though she will be missed, she will be remembered.

Mount Lehman Llamas Farm Page      •      Llama Question and Answer Page